The shampoo is such an underrated product in the CG community. Yes, yes, we want a sulfate-free shampoo for curly hair. But think about it. The CG method is so overrated now. Curly girls are afraid to shampoo and that’s why, here I am, to explain to you otherwise. With my first-hand experience, and results and as long as its gentle, shampooing curly hair is indeed a good idea! Here are reasons to consider shampoo for curly hair and if you were looking at Curly Ellie Gentle Shampoo, here's my review for it too.
Disclaimer: Curly Ellie gifted my children products to review in 2017. I stole from my children :) Regardless, this is my honest review after using their products for over 3 years! I only recommend my favorite products, the best things that have worked for me.
Shampoo for Curly Hair, is it good?
You wouldn't use a lotion to clean your face, will you? Hair and scalp are bombarded with so many products daily. So you need a gentle shampoo to clean your scalp and hair occasionally. Even if you don't use a lot of natural products you still need to cleanse your scalp and hair.
Ideally, washing every 3-4 days is normal. So I now alternate between a cowash and CG shampoo to maintain a balance. Either way, if you ask around, curly girls will tell you how a gentle shampoo makes their hair bouncier!
But why a gentle shampoo?
Perhaps, a clarifying shampoo does the job, you say. Yes, you can use a clarifying shampoo and you must use a clarifying shampoo every two weeks. You can also DIY DETOX with bentonite clay treatment once a month to clarify hair but these are extreme methods and techniques that strip everything out of your hair. Clarifying frequently creates IMBALANCE. That's where a gentle shampoo like Curly Ellie comes in. This is one of my best results:
Can you use a Curly hair shampoo for every wash?
YES! Here are more reasons to consider shampoo for curly hair.
13 Reasons to shampoo curly hair
- Because it’s wash day!
- Cowashing just doesn’t work for you.
- You travel a lot, face a dirty environment and pollution daily.
- You work out a few times a week.
- Hair feels heavy and weighed down with products.
- Hair looks greasy and sticky even after using clean CG products.
- Scalp feels itchy with product build-up
- Feeling dry scalp (because of a harsh shampoo.)
- To remove all that overnight prepoo which is making your hair feel greasy
- Your baby threw up in your hair
- You rolled in the mud with your toddler in the play park.
- A DIY hair mask backfired into a greasy mess.
- You like that clean scalp feeling.
- Because you swam and now, there's chlorine clinging to your hair.
- To prep hair for a protein/moisture deep conditioning mask.
You WANT to deep condition (DC) on clean non-buildup hair
For a successful deep conditioning result, shampoo first. This way, your hair is ready to take in all the goodness your DC mask has to offer. However, using a safe gentle shampoo is ideal - for low porosity curly hair at least. That's where Curly Ellie shampoo comes in!
Curly Ellie Story
Little Ellie was allergic to peanuts, dairy, wheat and has really sensitive skin and her eczema got worse with the other brands. Zaina (founder) created this line first for her daughter and wanted it perfect and kind. Yep, the shampoo is so clean, you can eat it! Curly Ellie products have kind ingredients like Quinoa, Gold of Pleasure Seed Oil, Broccoli Oil that many brands don't use actually or haven't yet started using. The Fragrance is 100 percent natural and ECO certified. The brand is a labour of love, and a celebration of love, curls, and our planet!
>I had never looked at the ingredients before I tried the Curly Ellie shampoo. It felt so good and I got the best results so I never thought about running their ingredients on the IS IT CG website. Well, it's labelled as not CG approved and it broke my heart when I saw it because I want to follow the CG method totally, right? So I spoke to Zaina about this. This is what she says:
Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate
Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate (SLSA) sometimes gets a bad rap because it gets confused with SLS and SLES, which we would never use in any of our products for several reasons. I personally love Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate. It is one of the mildest, skin-friendly, plant-based cleansers around at the moment. It happens to be derived from coconut and palm oils so is suitable for vegetarians and vegans. In addition to its natural and pure origins, it effectively removes surface oil, dirt and bacteria, without stripping or drying sensitive skin. Another great thing is that because of the large molecules it doesn't penetrate the skin or the mucous membranes, so it does not cause skin irritation. I always advocate buying shampoos like ours that are SLS and SLES free. They might be a little bit more expensive, but worth investing in, to benefit your long-term health. I found some interesting articles to read and reference regarding SLSA. There are many others on the web. - http://slsfree.net/sodium-lauryl-sulfoacetate/
My Curly Ellie Shampoo Review & Results
- Purpose: Gentle sulfate-free cleanser to wash off impurities without stripping natural oils.
- Texture: Clear, Smooth
- Fragrance: Mild, like banana-oatmeal (my children prefer this smell over regular products)
- Recommended for: All hair types and gender! It’s for everybody.
- Does it work for colour-treated hair? YES! Quinoa is a great ingredient that keeps hair vibrant!
- Does it foam? Just one small blob foams luxuriously! A little goes a long way
- Is this good for adults? YES! Everybody, even grandparents can use this.
- Can it be used on newborn babies? You should avoid using commercial products on infants. 1yr+ is ideal
- How long will it last? The 8.5 FL OZ or 250 ml bottle can last 4-5 months!
- Where to Buy? Directly from Curly Ellie (worldwide) or Here, for India
- Would I buy it again: YES!!
This was just after my hair cut in Dec 2017. I only used the Curly Ellie shampoo to cleanse and Bounce Curl Gel to style. Try this comb if you were looking for more volume. Let me know if you do!
It's my go-to shampoo for sure. Gentle, yet cleansing, and moisturizing. You can use this shampoo for curly or wavy or kinky hair. Use it on your children, parents, everyone in the house can use it. Just not for under 6month old babies, that's all. Babies never really get their hair THAT dirty anyway.
So, is this the best natural shampoo for curly hair, is it CG?YES! The Curly Ellie Shampoo is gluten-free, vegan, SLS-free, paraben-free and free of all mineral oils. It has no alcohol or any of the banned ingredients from the original Curly Girl Handbook by Lorraine Massey - written by the mother of CG method. If you want to learn how to look after your curls, especially with the Dry Winter... look no further than ...*drum roll* CurlyEllie
Thank you for reading & watching! Please share this with a beauty you know
Need Help? Ask Liz here